Monday, January 5, 2015

Indian Country Year in Review 2014 !!

Indian Country asked a bunch of Native Artist to reflect on 2014, heres what I submitted
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 turned out to be a great year for me, here are some of my personal highlights!

Nationally, 2014 was definitely the - Year of the Native Activist, whether it was the Keystone XL Pipeline issue, the Mascot controversy or the fracking of Indian land.  In 2015, we'll see more of our Native communities being more politically active.

In April, my family decided to attend Gathering of Nations Powwow in New Mexico and I was interested in hosting Stage 49 again but this time I wanted to do it in drag -- and that's exactly how it happened! I just couldn't believe how well I was received by everyone, I kind of felt like Selena, look for me hosting again the 2015 GON Stage 49 with my big wigs and boots!



Sometime last year I developed an addiction for Ramen noodles, I just couldn't get enough. I think most people fear eating Asian noodles because they don't know how to use chopsticks so I made a little instruction video on how to use chopsticks!



My favorite highlight from 2014 was helping Comedian Margaret Cho raise money for the San Francisco homeless in December!  We got people to donate clothes, food, tampons, sox, blankets, money and anything else the homeless could use. The great thing about this fundraiser is that all proceeds went directly to the homeless on hand.  Some of the organizations that directly benefited from online donations were:

Larking Street Youth Services
http://www.larkinstreetyouth.org

Lava Mae: a non-profit in SF who provide showers to the homeless on wheels.
www.lavamae.org

Any can donate here:
www.gofundme.com/berobin



See you guys in 2015 !!!!
xoxo
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment