Friday, June 28, 2013

Timing

15 years ago this weekend I put down the bottle and haven't looked back.  And every year this SF Pride weekend is my sobriety birthday.  Sometimes its very lonely being sober.  I always find myself passing up on hanging out with comedians because all they do to connect with each other is drink, smoke weed, or use some kind of drug to bond.  I know what you guys are thinking, "why don't you join a gay club like SF Cheer" ?   If you guys have never heard of SF Cheer, they're a gay cheerleading group.  And that sounds like a great idea but I had a friend who was on the squad and he said they're just a bunch of tweakers, for realz.

Do you know whats crazy.  I have a gay friend who had no social life when he was younger so his parents didn't know what to do with him and decided to take him to an at risk LGBT Youth group to meet people and he did,  the only problem, hanging out with these at risk LGBT youth is where he learned how to do drugs.  Isn't that crazy, so really his drug & alcohol problems stem from his parents just trying to get him out of the house.

Last night at the Castro Block Party celebrating the defeat of Prop 8 & DOMA. *Defense of Marriage Act* , I saw an old friend who I use to work with.  He was hanging out with this gay boy who I've been seeing around for years.  So when our mutual introduced us, I found out hes a Two Spirit.  Isn't that amazing, right under my nose all that time. After I learned of his background, I grabbed his hand and said, "honey, I've been seeing you around for years, I remember seeing you around when you were skinny" .  And he was like, "how come you never said hi" .  And I said, "because I don't like to bother people and let them be" .

I immediately asked him if he was involved with his culture and he said he was adopted out because of the physical abuse he endured from his Native family.  He said he was glad to move out because he got tired of eating government cheese. And he went on to say when he moved out, he got stuck with White people who ate government cheese too.

I don't know how I do it but I always manage to meet and find the cast outs from Indian reservations.  Many of these Natives who come to SF don't want anything to do their culture because of the bad experiences they grew up with from their homes and can you blame them?

For me, great friendships are about timing.  Its about meeting the right people at the right time, under the right circumstances and then just maybe, I might have a new friend for life.

xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment